Skip to main content
Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

Vendor Questions - General

What/where is your vendor policy?

The University does not have a formal "vendor policy" for the academic campus. General information for vendors can be found on the Purchasing website here. For Hospital areas refer to the following site for information here.

How do I do business with UK?

The University primarily purchases from vendors holding price contracts which result from competitive bid and proposal processes. Every solicitation issued by the University is publicly posted on the Purchasing website and any entity can submit responses.

I received a PO today from your office. There is an error and I need a corrected PO.

Contact information (phone and email) for the respective Purchasing buyer can be found in the upper right corner of the purchase order.

Where can I get a set of plans for capital construction or renovation projects?

Plans for University construction projects are available from Lynn Imaging, 328 Old Vine Street, Lexington Kentucky 40507, Phone (859) 255-1021, FAX (859) 252-4178 or from the UK Planroom at

Where do I submit my bid or proposal?

Bid or proposal submissions must be submitted via sealed envelope to Room 322 Peterson Service Building, 411 S. Limestone, Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0005 by the due date and time. The solicitation number and due date must be written on the exterior of the envelope or package.

What is a "No Charge PO" and when is it required?

The University occasionally requests demonstration equipment or other items which a vendor has offered at no cost. To facilitate and track the transaction, Purchasing will issue a "no charge purchase order". The document will contain the terms and conditions unique to the transaction and indicate there is no cost involved.

Where do I find a copy of your tax exempt form?

Contact our front desk for information related to sales tax exemption at 257-9100, email

Bid and Proposal Opportunities

How do I know what the University has out for bid? How can I bid on X service or Y product? How can I get on your vendor list or on the list to have bids mailed?

All solicitations issued by the University are publicly posted on the Purchasing website.   Any interested party can visit the website at their choosing to review solicitations available for response. The University does not maintain a formal "bidders" list.

What is a Pre-Bid and/or Pre-Proposal Conference?

Some solicitations may include a pre-bid or pre-proposal conference. This event is more common for construction projects, renovations and solicitations involving infrastructure. If a pre-bid or pro-proposal conference is involved, the information and requirements will be clearly stated in the solicitation including date/time and place of the event.

How can I obtain information about the results of an Invitation for Bid or Request for Proposal?

Award information for solicitations is posted on the Purchasing website after the solicitation is closed.

How do I initiate an Open Records request?

Open records requests must be placed through UK Office of Legal Counsel. Requests can be made through email at The request should clearly state the document(s) being requested (e.g., bid tabulation sheet) and point of reference (e.g., bid number). Parties must include their return contact information including postal address, fax, email, etc.

Vendor Questions - Hospital

What do I need to provide for credentialing (hospital vendors)?

Purchasing gets an electronic version of credentials and posts them to an intranet site so everyone can have access when needed.

How do I go about getting my product on your formulary?

Only via physician request. The hospital has an internal process that is initiated by the physicians.

Can I bring products into the hospital?

Vendors can only bring products into the hospital that have been ordered on a valid purchase order or have been approved and have been assigned a "no charge" PO. (No-charge PO's are used for tracking purposes. ALL items that come into hospital facilities must have the ability to be tracked.)

What is the hospital's capital equipment process?

Any freestanding equipment with a cost greater than $2000 is considered capital equipment and must be approved by the capital committee which meets quarterly. The hospital department requesting the equipment must submit a capital equipment request internally.

Where can I park at the hospital?

Parking information for vendors visiting healthcare facilities can be found here.

What are the supplier credentialing policies for hospital?

Visit our website for information on supplier credentialing for healthcare areas.

Who can I contact about trialing our products?

The end user at the hospital must initiate and approve any new trial and must submit the trial through the appropriate channels for approval.

Vendor - Minority and Women-Owned Businesses

Is there a bid preference for minority or women-owned businesses?

Please visit our Supplier Diversity page for information on procurement business opportunities with the University. You can also email for additional information or specific questions. 

Vendor Visits

What do I have to do to enter your facility?

For academic campus vendors must have an appointment or prior approval from the department which they plan to visit. For Hospital areas vendors must sign-in with our supplier credentialing system prior to any visit; information can found here. The website contains additional information regarding vendor policy and expectations of sales representative. For questions, contact Paul Reister at: Campus-wide parking information for vendors can be found on the Parking and Transportation website.

Can I serve food with for the meeting I have scheduled?

For academic campus vendors should inquire with the particular department they plan to visit whether food may be served with a planned meeting.

In keeping with Corporate Compliance Policy, food cannot usually be served at meetings within the hospital. More information can be found here.

Can I just go and meet departments on campus and the hospital and write them quotes?

Purchases for academic campus departments are primarily based on contracts setup from competitive processes. Only vendors having signed price contract document(s) should be meeting departments and writing quotes based on the area's needs. Hospital vendor policy is more restrictive; see above section entitled "Vendor Questions -- Hospital" or visit our web page for more information.

Can I make an appointment to visit with you (Purchasing Division)?

Appointments are required for vendor meetings.  Vendors can also call the Purchasing main line at (859) 257-9100 or email Further information for hospital vendors can be found above.  

How do I find directions to the Peterson Service Building?

Location information for the Service Building can be found below at the bottom of our website.

Invoicing and Payment Issues

How do I check on the status of a payment?

Invoice postings and check payments for the academic campus are handled by UK Account Payable whom you may contact at (859) 257-6247. Invoices and payments for HealthCare areas are handled by Hospital Accounting, phone (859) 323-6348.